With all of the stylists and A-list celebrities recently jumping on the “one hair-wash per week” bandwagon, you’ve got to ask – to dry shampoo or not to dry shampoo? If you’re keen on skipping a few washes during the week, here are a few pros and cons for adding a touch of dry shampoo to your daily, grooming routine.
Pros of Using Dry Shampoo:
- Well, there’s the obvious – it saves you time. Instead of lather, rinse and repeating, you can spray, tousle and go. More time for snoozing, less time for grooming.
- With less use of other hair products, it can save you money. Since you won’t need to shampoo every day, you can extend the use of your shampoo and other hair care products in between washes. Win-win!
- Dry shampoo lets you improve the health of your hair. Since you won’t have to wash it as much, you can also avoid over-heating it with styling. Between flat irons and blow dryers, your hair can use all the replenishment it can get. With a little spritz, you can add some volume to your hair and hide any areas that may be prone to looking greasy.
Cons of Dry Shampoo for Hair:
- Dry shampoos can leave a residue. Depending on the brand, some sprays can leave a “dusty” looking residue on your hair, which of course would result in the need for you to actually wash your hair. Be sure to do your research on brands in order to avoid this – especially if you have darker hair. If you do choose to use dry shampoo, talk to your Toronto hair stylist first to get the right recommendation for your hair tone and texture.
- Dandruff can be a common attribute. Unfortunately, if you are prone to having a dry scalp, chances are that after a few days of skipping a wash and substituting in a dry spray, this may cause a build-up on your scalp. The only way to potentially avoid this is to regularly hydrate your scalp with a hair treatment. Another common alternative is to wash your hair using only water to get rid of any build up, and then apply a little dry shampoo after for extra volume.
- The ingredients can be toxic. One of the main reasons people often try and limit hair washing is to help rejuvenate the hair follicles and scalp from all of the products that were being used on a daily basis. It is important to keep an eye on the labels and try to avoid ingredients that are equally as damaging for your hair. Do your research or ask a professional.
There are many pros and cons to using a dry shampoo. The best method for making the right decision is always to consult a professional – just ask your hair stylist at bob + paige salon.